Wednesday, May 27, 2009

(thanks aunt jamie)


"i love you, mankie"
"awww, mankie"
"you're so soft mankie"
"hayden, give me mankie back!"
"mom, i can't find mankie!"
"can i bring mankie?"
"daddy lets me bring mankie..."

since hayden never had an object of such 
affection, her obsession with "mankie" 
fascinates me to no end. what started out
as the softest pink baby blanket with pretty
little silk appliques has become a grayish, 
tattered, treasured necessity in her life.
there is a "big one", a "little one" and soon
to be a "new one". she sticks one corner up 
her nose, she wraps it over her head like a 
hijab, and around her shoulders like a little 
old lady. i peel it off her several times a day
so we can leave the house, eat breakfast, or 
(dare i say) wash it... occasionally (i 
imagine when it starts to smell really bad), 
she allows me to add it to the laundry. 
someday, i promise to video her response
when i remove it from the dryer and wrap it 
around her.... warm and smelling like my 
favorite scent of bounce. 

positively joyful.

1 comment:

AmyER said...

Oh, the security objects. A precious thing. Hang on to it Court, I still have my "BEE". Keep it forever. :)

 

Followers

Blog Archive